Mister Bug, the Musical

Here’s the demo track of Mister Bug recorded today with Andy Rapo. It’s a bit rough, but not bad considering how quickly we did it. Andy is a whiz in the home studio and has a pretty nice set up. That’s me singing and playing ukulele (in case you were wondering).

Mister Bug started out as a poem (trivia – my first rhyming poem) based on a comment from my three-and-half-foot muse about a bug he saw on the ceiling. After some great comments from my crit group, I expanded it to fit a picture book format. Then, last year I started thinking about song writing and this version kind of came together.

I still think it’s got pretty good picture book potential *cough* agents, editors *cough*

I “debuted” it in January at my first VCFA residency by coercing a room full of children’s writers to sing along on the chorus. It didn’t take a whole lot of arm-twisting, they’re a game bunch. Now this version is going out to a local songwriting contest, and I’m living the not-quite-a-Wiggle-dream.

I wonder if Laurie Berkner would like it?

21 comments

1. Too fun! And such talent on the ukelele. (My 17-y.o. son plays, too.) If you do make it to a Highlights Founders workshop, well, let’s just say that outside and sometimes inside the quaint, charming cabins, you’ll have some more inspiration like this… ;0)

• Jim says:

Sometimes I think rustic is an anagram of insect. Might as well be, right?

Glad you liked the song. I’m sure your son is better on the uke than I am. This was dead-simple to overcome my limitations!

• Jim says:

I’d love to get a whole bunch of kids singing the chorus. That might happen this summer, if I play my cards right.

2. Peleka Kaneohe says:

Nicely done. My alter-ego and I approve. Uke are the best. Now all we need is an acrostic uke tune (now that we have determined what is acrostic). Or acrostic haiku?

Universal love
    Kinesthetic happiness
    Everybody smile

3. Deborah Hill says:

Dear Jim,
    Fabulous! I will forward it to Courtney so Annabelle can hear it. I hope that you and Isaac can get together with her and Annabelle when they visit in late June and early July. There is a great market for kids’
    songs. So keep writing them.
    With love,
    Debbie

• Jim says:

Thanks, Debbie. I’ve been writing a lot of kids poetry. Setting them to music is new, but I like it.

I think Isaac and Annabelle might make quite the dynamic duo.

• Jim says:

Well you know, the #MoP don’t stop! If it wasn’t for your Twitter event I may not have started writing poetry again. Who knew it would lead to things like this?

4. Lynda Shoup says:

Finally opened up the laptop so I could listen. (Couldn’t play it on my phone.) It was well worth the wait! Great song, fun lyrics and great sound. The poem will resonate with kids. Last week on the playground a group of children spent their recess saving an egg bearing spider from the likes of the squashers. I know they would love this song.

• Jim says:

My son made wouldn’t get in the car this morning until I shooed away a bug on the tire because it reminded him of Mister Bug.

I’ve created a nation of insect activists!

5. Annie says:

Jim,
    This is great!! Just sent the link to my sister-in-law. Told her to share it with my nephew Smith who is 7 yrs old!