Bumbly Me – Poetry Friday

This week’s poem comes courtesy of the bumble bee crawling around the red azalea given to my wife on Mother’s Day, the very funny (and so NSFW) “Political Talk with Two Guys from Boston” segment in Dana Gould’s podcast, and my VCFA advisor, Mary Quattlebaum who suggested I try an acrostic and work on assonance. Just thought you might appreciate the synapse synopsis.

I think I can finally forgive that bee I stepped on when I was three.

Bumbly Me

by Jim Hill

Buzzing, bumbling, bumbly me,
Under and over and tumbly,
Merrily, airily, teasing the breeze,
Buzzing, bumbling, bumbly me,
Looking for colorful blossom and bloom,
Errand of hustle and bustle and zoom.

Buzzing, bumbling, bumbly me,
Eternally fumbling, mumbling wonder,
Eyeing the garden for nectar to plunder.

Kathy Czaja is this week’s Poetry Friday host. Take some time over there to discover some great poets and poetry.

photo credit Hayling Images

11 comments

• Jim says:

Thanks, Jeannie! I kind of picture Winnie the Pooh dressed as a bumble bee working hard to pull of his disguise.

• Jim says:

Thanks! I’ve been reading Runny Babbit this week and that challenges my read aloud skills. Maybe some of that difficulty level shifted over. I did want to make it feel a bit erratic like a bumble bee’s flight.

1. Ruth says:

This one would be great to share with my students to illustrate that an acrostic poem is NOT just about picking random words that start with the appropriate letter!

2. Carol says:

Wow! It always amazes me when people can use alliteration, either assonance or consonance (sp?) for more than a couple of words, and have it actually make sense and mean something. Then you have taken it one step further and shaped it into an acrostic besides. Holy cow! Like Ruth, I’m showing this to my students (fourth graders) on Monday. I know they will love it.

3. Mary Lee says:

Yup. This is a great example of an acrostic to share with kids.

I can do okay with writing acrostics that make sense, but have never managed one that rhymes. LOVE the repeating line for B, and you TOTALLY achieved the Winnie the Pooh bumbleyness you were working towards.

Oh, and thanks for the synapse synopsis. I have no time to explore and ponder, but it’s good to know it is there!!

• Jim says:

I’ll confess, I didn’t set out to make it rhyme, but when it started to happen I decided to run with it.

About the synapse synopsis – I don’t spend a lot of time pondering, but I do “file away” events and images. Sometimes they reveal a hidden theme. Other times it’s like a scene from “A Beautiful Mind”.

Glad you liked it. I’m love being a part of the Poetry Friday community.