I had a different poem on deck for this week’s Poetry Friday, but then my four year old decided to eat everything for dinner. Seriously, everything. I expect he’ll wake up tomorrow and tell us that his legs hurt again. Good thing it’s almost shorts season.

I hope you’ll come back next week for The Empty Juice Box Blues.

Imminent Growth Spurt

This kid is unsinkable.

Still hungry, Daddy.
A cheese stick will do,
And peanut butter toast
When that is gone too.

He ate for an hour,
slept an hour times ten,
And when he woke up
He was bigger again.

It’s a pattern repeating,
We’ve learned to adjust,
He just might keep growing,
Six-foot-seven or bust.

Imminent Growth Spurt – Poetry Friday
Tagged on:

15 thoughts on “Imminent Growth Spurt – Poetry Friday

• April 27, 2012 at 6:04 am

Perfect. You describe it perfectly. But it gets even more absurd when they get bigger. Our son is fourteen and lately he’s been eating two complete dinners a few hours apart. And we can still see his ribs!

• April 27, 2012 at 6:54 am

So build a second pantry, and buy a second fridge? One of my nephews hit 6′-5″ and proclaimed that since starting college he’d gained 35 pounds . He’s now 180 pounds. He’s almost two-dimensional.

• April 27, 2012 at 6:32 am

I love this, Jim! I have two-year-old twin boys, and one of them just eats and eats and eats. He’s also concerned about food preparation, and keeps a close eye on the proceedings. Right now they are both running around in very short pants. I suppose I can’t make it stop.

BTW, thank you for following No Water River on FB. I hope you’ll consider coming on sometime!

• April 27, 2012 at 6:56 am

Wow! Two eating machines, good luck! It’s very hard to keep up with shoes and pants in our house, and we only have the one.

I’d be more than happy to come on No Water River.

Oh, and belated Happy Birthday!

• April 27, 2012 at 7:28 am

Great! As soon as I recover from Poetry Month, which might take a couple weeks, we’ll talk!

• April 30, 2012 at 10:18 am

He ate the pie for second breakfast!

• April 30, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thanks, Mary. Glad you popped over to read it.

• April 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

But he’s not even a teen. I shudder to think of the grocery bill.

• April 28, 2012 at 8:46 am

I too am awaiting shorts season and hoping that I can avoid judgement when walking into school with my soon to be seven imminent grower!

• April 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

I think most parents are in the same boat. Hard to keep up with the our growing problem.

• April 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

Awwww…this one is so fun. Hmmm, now the illustration that goes with this one? What is it? More poetry, please.

• April 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

Thanks, Kathy. More poetry is on it’ way. I think Spring brings it out in me.